BEST THINGS SENIORS CAN GET FREE or DISCOUNTEDApril 3, 2018
Incredible deals for older adults are out there … but only if you know where to find them!
There are many benefits to getting older but living on a fixed income can be a challenge. The good news is that so many places give seniors a discount, but often only if you ask. Deals change constantly, and sometimes a particular franchise owner gives a free drink instead of a discounted meal, for example. All of these little perks add up. Ten percent off is the same as buying nine and getting the tenth for free … except that you’re not obligated to make more purchases!
The other big news in “senior” discounts is that they sometimes start at age 50, when many of us don’t yet consider ourselves ripe for age-related discounts. The advice here from Senior Spirit is to take advantage of your newfound price reduction and pocket the savings with a knowing smile. Age is just a number, but we want to take advantage of every perk to which it entitles us!
Speaking of discounts at age 50, that’s when AARP eligibility begins. The many discounts offered cardholders are included below. AARP membership is only $12 your first year with automatic renewal and free spouse/partner membership, so most people find the cost is paid for with savings in a short time.
Clothing and Retail Senior Discounts
You probably already shop at many of these stores without realizing you could be getting a nice discount. The trick is knowing that you have to ask for it. While we’ve tried to be as accurate as possible, policies change and we recommend calling ahead to confirm details with your local retailer.
- Banana Republic Get 10 percent off if you’re 62 and older.
- Bealls Join the Monday Club for ages 50 and older, which entitles you to 15 percent off on Mondays.
- Belk Age 62 and older get a 15 percent (10 percent in the home and shoe departments) discount.
- Bon-Ton Department Stores Sign up for the newsletter to find out about senior discount days.
- Dress Barn Age 62 and older get a 10 percent discount on days of the week that vary by location.
- Goodwill Save 10 percent one day a week, which varies by location.
- Kohls Age 60 and older shop on Wednesday for 15 percent off.
- Lens Crafters AARP members get 30 percent off lenses and frames, or 40 percent off a complete pair of transition lenses. (A word about glasses: Check around for the best deal. Costco and Walmart are a couple of retailers to call for comparisons.)
- Michael’s The craft store will slash your bill 10 percent every day.
- Ross Age 55 and older qualify for10 percent off on Tuesday with a Tuesday Club card.
- Tanger Outlets Get the free coupon book for AARP members.
- Stein Mart Sign up for emails with special coupons for age 55 or older.
- Walgreens Each location features a Seniors Day once a month when Balance Reward members age 55 and up get 20 percent off in-store purchases, or 10 percent discounts online.
- UPS Store AARP members qualify for 15 percent off selected products and services, plus 5 percent off domestic and international shipping services.
Senior Discounts at Restaurants
Yum! It’s always fun to eat out, but even better when you can reduce your bill. Just remember that if you’re tipping, you need to figure up the gratuity for your server based on the original amount. Discounts apply to food only as a general rule, and never to alcoholic beverages.
- Applebee’s Get a Golden Apple card if you’re age 60 or more for 10 to 15 percent off.
- Arby’s If you’re 55 or more, you’ll get 10 percent off.
- A&W Many locations honor a 10 percent senior discount.
- Ben & Jerry’s Ask if your location has the 10 percent discount.
- Bennigan’s Senior discount of 10 percent for 60 and above varies by location.
- Bob’s Big Boy Those 60 and above get a discount that varies by location.
- Bonefish Grill If you’re an AARP member, you qualify for 10 percent off.
- Boston Market Check your location to see if you qualify for a senior discount for 65 and older.
- Bubba Gump Shrimp Company AARP members reduce their bill by 10 percent.
- Burger King Seniors 60 and older get 10 percent off plus discounted coffee and soda.
- Captain D’s Seafood On Wednesday, customers 62 and older get one of eight meals for $4.99 or less at participating locations.
- Carrabba’s Italian Grill AARP members at most locations get 10 percent off the bill.
- Carrows Restaurant Their Golden 55 menu offers discounted meals for seniors all day long.
- Charthouse AARP members get 10 percent off their meal.
- Chick-fil-A Free soda refills for seniors at many locations.
- Chili’s Get a 10 percent discount if you’re 55 or older.
- CiCi’s Pizza Check if your local store offers a senior discount; they vary by location.
- Claimjumper Take 10 percent off your meal if you belong to AARP.
- Corky’s Homestyle Kitchen and Bakery Get a special senior menu if you’re 55 or above.
- Denny’s Enjoy a 15 percent discount if you’re an AARP member.
- Dunkin’ Donuts Many locations offer AARP members a free donut with purchase of a large beverage.
- Einstein’s Bagels Get 10 percent off for those 60 and above.
- El Pollo Loco Age 60 and older get a 10 percent discount.
- Fazolli’s Join Club 62 for $4 pasta and side salad at participating locations.
- Friendly’s Restaurant Free breakfast coffee and 10 percent off meals.
- Golden Corral Check for discounts that vary by location.
- IHOP Those 55 and older get discounts on rotating menu items.
- Jack in the Box Up to 20 percent off for those 55 and above.
- Krispy Kreme Senior discounts vary by location.
- Long John Silver’s Discounts vary by location for those 55 and older.
- Landry’s Seafood AARP members get a 10 percent discount.
- McCormick & Schmick’s AARP members get 10 percent off.
- McDonalds Discounted coffee and drinks for seniors 55 and over; varies by location.
- The Oceanaire Seafood Room AARP members take 10 percent off.
- Outback Steakhouse AARP members save 10 percent.
- Old Country Buffet Those 55 and older qualify for discounts by location.
- The Old Spaghetti Factory Specified menu items qualify for senior discounts.
- Papa John’s Check with your home franchise for discounts.
- Perkins Restaurants Special deals for seniors are on their 55 and over menu.
- Ponderosa Steak House Discounts for ages 60 and older vary by location.
- Rainforest Café AARP members get 10 percent off their bill.
- Saltgrass Steakhouse AARP members save 10 percent.
- Shoney’s of Knoxville Join their Golden Age Club for those 60 and older to get a 10 percent discount.
- Sizzler Many locations offer an Honored Guest Menu for patrons 60 and older.
- Subway Managers may give a 10 percent discount to seniors 60 and older.
- Sweet Tomatoes Special deals for seniors, including all-you-can-eat $7.99 Monday through Thursday from 2-5 pm. Plus, those 60 and older get 10 percent off at all other times.
- Uno Pizzeria & Grill The Double Nickel Club entitles those 55 and older to 30 percent off every Wednesday.
- Village Inn Get 10 percent off your meal if you’re 60 or above.
- Waffle House Mondays, seniors 60 and older get a 10 percent discount.
- White Castle Seniors 62 and older get 10 percent off at participating locations.
- Wendy’s Specials and age limits vary by location.
Senior Discounts at Grocery Stores
It’s worth changing your shopping habits to shave a little extra off the food bill, right?! Just make sure to check out the exclusions before you load up your cart. For example, the only food discounted at Fred Meyer are store brands, but there are many and they are often a great buy anyway. Also, certain electronics and other items are not included. Be aware that grocery discounts in particular are constantly changing at the local and national level. Call ahead to avoid surprises.
- American Discount Stores Take 10 percent off on Mondays for age 62 and older.
- Bi-Lo Seniors 60 and above take 5 percent off on Wednesday.
- Compare Foods Supermarket Some stores give a 10 percent discount to those 60 and older on a day that varies by location.
- DeCicco Family Markets Age 60 and above take a 5 percent discount on Wednesday.
- Fred Meyer Seniors 55 and older save 5 percent the first Tuesday of the month.
- Fry’s Supermarket Seniors get a 10 percent discount.
- Gristedes Supermarket Take 10 percent off on Tuesday if you’re 65 or above.
- Harris Teeter Use your VIC card on Thursdays for a 5 percent discount if you’re at least 60.
- Hy-Vee Join the Senior Citizen Discount Club if you’re at least age 55 and receive 5 percent off every Wednesday.
- New Seasons Seniors 65 and up get 10 percent off every Wednesday.
- Piggly-Wiggly Those 60 and older get a 5 percent discount on Wednesdays.
- Publix Receive a 5 percent discount on Wednesdays if you’re 60 and above, but only in Tennessee, North Carolina, northern Alabama, South Carolina and Georgia.
- Uncle Giuseppe’s Marketplace Seniors 65 and above get 5 percent off on Wednesday.
Traveling with Senior Discounts
Whether you’re heading off for a cruise, flying to your dream destination or renting a car for a road trip, senior discounts abound. Pocket savings when you’re booking your trip, and you’ll have enough to go on that cool side excursion you thought you couldn’t afford. Be sure to check with your preferred hotel for senior discounts, since many different brands are included under flagship names.
- American Airlines Call before you book to check on various discounts for 65 and over.
- Amtrak Get a 15 percent reduction if you’re 62 or older.
- Auto Europe Receive a 5 percent discount for seniors.
- Avis Up to 30 percent off of base rates for AARP members at participating agencies.
- Bates RV Rentals Seniors 55 and over get special pricing when booking.
- British Airways AARP members save up to $200 per flight.
- Budget Rental Cars Get up to 30 percent off of base rates for AARP members at select locations.
- Carnival Cruise Savings vary for seniors 55 and above.
- Choice Hotels AARP members and those 60 and older save up to 10 percent with advance booking.
- Days Inn Special savings for guests 60 and up vary by location.
- Greyhound Seniors 62 and older enjoy 5 percent off.
- Hertz AARP members get 25 percent off plus a free upgrade, or anyone age 50 and over can sign up for the 50+ Car Rental Program for deals.
- Hilton Hotels and Resorts AARP members knock 10 percent off the best available rate.
- InterContinental Hotels Group Seniors 62 and above can call for varying discounts.
- Marriott Hotels Those 62 and above can get 15 percent off their room.
- Motel 6 Take 10 percent off your bill if you’re 60 or above.
- Myrtle Beach Resort Seniors 55 and older get a 10 percent discount.
- Southwest Airlines Travelers 65 and older can call before booking for various discounts.
- Royal Caribbean Reduced prices on select sailings are offered for those 55 and above.
- United Airlines Call ahead regarding discounts for those aged 65 and above.
- Senior Discounts on Entertainment
A trip to the movies is more affordable when you can take advantage of special pricing. Or how about a camping vacation, whether in a tent, RV or your car with a mattress in the back? Camping in America’s incredible national parks, from the Smokey Mountains to Yellowstone, is the best deal going if you’re at least 62. The Golden Age Passport, available wherever you check into a national park, is only $80 for free admission to more than 400 national parks across America. And it’s good for the rest of your life! Plus, it offers substantial discounts on camping at many locations.
- AMC Theaters Seniors 60 and above get discounted tickets.
- Carmike Cinemas Those 65 and above get 35 percent off regular adult tickets, plus special pricing on candy, popcorn and soda on Tuesday.
- Cinemark Check your location for discounted senior prices.
- Sea World Parks Receive special pricing on annual passes for those 65 and above.
- National Parks Pass Seniors 62 and above get a lifetime pass for $80 that admits up to four adults and includes special pricing for camping facilities.
Miscellaneous Deals for Seniors
There’s nothing more important than keeping as healthy as possible while we age. So what’s not to like about Silver Sneakers, the free program for seniors 65 and up offering unlimited access to more than 14,000 gyms across the country? Better yet, it includes classes tailored for seniors, whether you’ve always been a gym rat or you’re out of shape and recovering from a stroke. Check here to see if your Medicare Advantage or other insurance program offers Silver Sneakers.
- AT&T Get a qualified plan for 10 percent off with AARP membership.
- Cirque du Soleil AARP members get a 15 percent discount on touring shows, or 20 percent off in Las Vegas and other select cities.
- Great Clips Check your location for senior deals.
- Silver Sneakers Many Medicare plans offer free gym membership and classes across America.
“Lists of the Best Senior Citizen Discounts in Dining, Travel, and Retail,” Tough Nickel.
“2018 List of Senior Discounts On Restaurants,” The Senior List.
“Senior Discounts: 100+ Stores Offering Discounts for Senior Citizens,” Brad’s Deals.
“Amazing Dining Deals,” AARP.
“2018 Senior Discounts For Grocery Stores,” The Senior List.
Re-blogged with permission from the Society of Certified Senior Advisors